WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Friday, June 18, 2010

My introduction

I am a Combat Veteran, served 3 tours to Iraq, starting in 2003 during the initial wave. I am Aviation, therefore, I certainly did not kick in doors and only did a handful of convoys. However, my combat experience was so traumatic to ME that it left scars from 2003 that still effect me to this day. I have come to realize after much treatment that there truly is no cure for that which we battle every day. All we can do is cling to those closest to us, those who have dealt with what we have, who can relate. We only have each other, we cannot rely on those who have never experienced the pain, the loss and the constant reminder of what we had endured.

Combat Veterans, no matter what their jobs may have been, see things no average American could imagine. The mortars, the helicopter crashes, the blown up vehicles, the guilt.......the night sweats 7 years later......the panic attacks simply driving down the highway. Walking through the mall and all of a sudden finding yourself back on the battlefield. No one understands this like a PTSD sufferer.

I have gone through extensive treatment, at the time hoping I would be able to return to the fight. I later found that this was not an option for me. And this reason is two fold. Not simply because of my injuries (yes, despite what many think, PTSD is an INJURY!), but also because of the direction the Army has gone.

I came into the Army in 1996 when yelling and cussing at Soldiers was normal. I expected this, since my father was in the Army as well in the early 70's. I actually expected my Drill Sergeants to punch me, cuz they did that to my dad (or at least thats the story he told me lol). But anyways, thats how I grew up in the Army. I learned early on that I wanted to be very proficient in my MOS (Military Occupational Specialty for you non-Army folks) and become an excellent leader BEFORE I sought promotion. Simply because I had leaders who directed work from behind a desk and I found that highly disturbing. So, unlike todays Army, I did not seek promotion to Sergeant until I felt I was ready, not when someone else thought I should go (cuz they don't care if your ready now, they just care about sending a body to the board). In other words, I did not receive my E-5 (Sergeant) until 2005, 9 years after enlisting. By then I was highly proficient in my MOS and had been leading and training Soldiers since 2003 (Iraq/OIF 1). By 2008 I was promoted to E-6 (Staff Sergeant) and placed in charge of 15 troops. All of whom I cherish, even when they did something stupid.

I led with an iron fist when needed but for the most part, I let them do their thing so long as they did the right thing. I didn't treat them like children unless I had to...unlike how the Army is being operated by most nowadays. I fought FOR the Soldiers, not against them. After all, whose going to work harder for you? The ones you treat with respect and fight battles for or the ones you treat like a child from the start without even giving them a chance to prove themselves? I already know the answer to that question, however, it's like I'm one of the few remaining individuals who truly know the answer.

It broke my heart when I had to step back and hand my section over to another leader. 15 brilliant Soldiers in the hands of an individual who doesn't know the job. Not his fault, he's a completely different MOS. But that is the only option they had.

I have been in WTU since mid May. I'm only just now getting a hang of it and it's hard to imagine doing this every day for over a year. I am thankful my MEB has already been started however, I feel for those who lie in wait and having to deal with some of the worst babysitting I have ever experienced in the military. It's one thing to want to take care of Soldiers, its a whole different thing to treat us like we're all screw ups.

Prime example: I am a Staff Sergeant from the old days. I will NEVER ask a Soldier to do something I would not do. Therefore, if the Soldiers of WTU are told to clean vacant barracks then I'll be right there with them. However, I raise one question: What is WTU for? Warrior Transition Unit. The purpose is two-fold: 1. Open up our slot in our old unit for a new soldier and 2. focusing on our medical treatments; whatever they may be. So, why are Soldiers who are in a Medical Hold Company (yes, thats what it used to be called back in the day) doing details such as picking weeds and cleaning barracks that no one lives in? For one thing, WTU falls under Darnall. Darnall contract their weed eating and grass cutting to civilians. Hello! Get their asses over to WTU so these Soldiers don't have to do this bullshit. And cleaning a barracks building that is completely vacant? Are you serious? No one lives in the damn building so why the hell are these Soldiers cleaning it? Just two things I've noticed in my very short time here. If I were Cadre, I would have said something, but I am not. However, believe you me, I am waiting for that scrimmage to come....they will be hearing my thoughts on this.

In no way do I wish to tell the Cadre of WTU how to run things, however, I can certainly make suggestions...after all isn't that what the scrimmage is all about? More like an AAR (After Action Review) let them know whats going well, whats going bad, what they can improve, what they can take away? Oh yeah, weeds.....hand that shit off to Darnall.

To the Soldiers who feel alienated at the WTU due to a multitude of issues, lets not forget, we always have one another. I rely not on my leaders for the help and guidance to get through things such as this, but on those closest to me who understand my pain. My battles to my left and right who have seen War and continue to be haunted by it. It is all we have.

2 comments:

  1. ROCK ON SARGE! APPLAUDS, STANDING OVATION! Your exploits are mediocre compared to what I've been through. Yet I can completely comprehend to everything that you have elaborated so eloquently on dealing with issues that still plague us. This soldier will follow you to combat ANY DAY. -Johnny Pocketts-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot and will not ever be able to fathom some of the things Soldiers have seen. And it breaks my heart to see Soldiers suffering through this. Thank you for your comment and understanding Johnny.

    ReplyDelete