WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Knowing your rights......

Now I come to the thing that really upsets me about military doctors (some, not all) and their lack of true concern for Soldiers needs.

I have been blessed with some of the best counselors the Army could provide. Some have not been so fortunate. Their doc either doesn't care one way or another about that Soldier or their completely blind to the Soldiers needs.

And I hear stories about Soldiers seeking help and being told their faking it, or they just need to get out of the Army. Ok.....if that's the case, what are you doing to prove their faking it and what are you doing to take care of their needs while you process them out of the Army?

Yes, there are Soldiers out there that milk the system. It happens, we've all seen the sick call rangers, and they piss us off...why? Because for those of us who are actually suffering from one ailment or another have an even harder battle of proving our issues because of these individuals. My first injury in the Army occurred in 1998. I tore the ligaments in both my feet. I sought treatment over and over and was treated like a complete dirtbag. Eventually, because of the lack of treatment, I ended up with a permanent condition. Thankfully, the docs in Korea saw the facts and did their best to deal with the issue. I was put on a P3 profile for my feet and I just dealt with the pain. It hasn't gone away, but I cope. I wasn't about to let them cut on my feet, could just see myself now with nerve damage or something lol. So, I wasn't about to let them cut on me.

But it took me forever to get the docs to see my issue. And it was because of Soldiers who went to sickcall with nothing wrong with them, just to avoid going to runs, and the docs were growing tired of people milking the sickcall. So, rather than being openminded when I went in, they immediately were on the offensive and treated me like shit. Not surprised though, now that I look back on it. Because I know what they've had to deal with. I've had a few Soldiers who did this, never really saw it until I was in a leadership position and noticed the trends.

Now, why am I talking about this? Because I see Soldiers suffering and some are suffering so badly that they have serious anger issues and they've gotten themselves into trouble so therefore because they've gotten into trouble their treated like complete dirtbags all the time. Of course, this only increases their anger issues and most often than not results in more trouble. How about we do our best to help the Soldier? Even if they have anger issues? Perhaps if they actually see that someone TRULY DOES CARE, they wouldn't be so angry and bitter all the time? Hmmm...what a concept.

Soldiers get mistreated or don't get treated at all when they seek help and it usually ends up permanentally scarring them for life. Because the Army used to be all about taking care of Soldiers. Nowadays its not like that. Don't get me wrong, some may see it as taking care of Soldiers, but I don't. There's a difference between taking care of a Soldier and babysitting them. Don't hover over them and watch their every more. But don't make it seem like your doing it as merely a requirement. Show genuine concern for the Soldiers needs. Actually listen to the Soldier, hear what they have to say and take what they say to heart. Don't take offense if their being blunt with you because their at their boiling point. Let them vent, and don't take action against them....I think thats where so many have gotten lost here.

Yes, discipline is very important in the military, however, your dealing with Soldiers who suffer from an injury and that injury includes anger issues for most if not all of us. So, knowing this, you shouldn't turn the tables on them when their venting their anger (that is unless they've become violent and even then it should be a case by case basis and before you take any such action against anyone, you need to send them to their doc first).

The reason Soldiers turn to their battle buddies to their left and right for comfort and counsel is because their leaders don't provide it. When that is our job as leaders. We are to be there for our Soldiers no matter what, no matter the time of day, no matter if we are on leave, they call on us, we should answer. There aren't many leaders left that still do this. Even if the Soldier messed up, as a leader we're to assist them through that as well. Provide them the necessary resources and services required to get past that. Help to rehabilitate them, don't banish them. And don't babysit. There's a difference between taking care of your Soldiers and babysitting them. Babysitting is a "job", taking care of Soldiers should not be. It should be a given. You don't have to watch a Soldiers every move, but know whats going on. No wonder Soldiers don't tell their leaders what their planning to do on the weekend, because their going to get the scripted speeches. How about having a get together with your Soldiers so that you can actually get to know them? Build comradery amongst your team? That's how Soldiers bond. And those bonds last a lifetime. The ones we are closest to are the ones we will still talk to when we 80 years old. The leaders who gave their all to their Soldiers are the ones those Soldiers will emulate for years to come, and they will pass their legacy on. The leaders who didn't give a rats ass about us are the ones we leave in the dust. Leave a lasting impression on your Soldiers and they will pass it on to the next troop.

Don't think because the Chain of Command told you to do something that you have to go that extra mile to make us miserable. Yes, you have obligations to keep us in check, but at least treat us like human beings not like a herd of cattle your trying to keep together. LISTEN to our needs, KNOW the signs, and HELP them. No matter how minor the issue may seem to you, for that Soldier its important.

Ok, off my soapbox for the moment. I'll be back so stand by......

*****Of course, I got lost in what I was trying to say here*****

The Soldiers dealing with docs who don't seem to care, and/or leaders who don't seem to understand whats going on, have avenues they can take to get what they need.

If your doc doesn't seem to want to help you, speak with your case manager OR the OMBUDSMAN to seek a different doctor. Some may not feel their case manager isn't helping them with this issue, and if that's the case, seek the assistance of the OMBUDSMAN at Darnall. Their job is to mediate between you and the medical professionals you are having conflict with. If you feel like your spinning your wheels and not really getting any help, utilize these individuals as your advocates. Don't just "deal with it", you have to stand up for yourself and to do it the right way, without blowing your top on these people, utilize these advocates to your advantage. So that you can get the necessary help you so desperately need.

Also, if you feel like your squad leader is not helping you or not listening to your needs, take it higher. Do your best to maintain control of your emotions but if you cannot, take a battle buddy with you who can speak for you when you begin to lose it. It is your right to use the open door policy no matter what stigma may go along with it. Its time we take care of ourselves, and not bend over and take it. We have to stand up for ourselves because we're not here just to take up space, we're here because we're injured and our leaders need to HEAR our pain and HELP us deal. Not just listen, nod their head and say "you'll get through this" No, actually listen and give counsel. I have alot of issues myself but when my Soldiers call me(yes, even though I'm not there anymore, they still call on me) I listen. I offer advice, I provide them information to much needed services or resources. That's what we are to do. Not just sit there, nod and then completely forget about the issue. How about checking on the Soldier and seeing how their doing, what can you do to help them, what do they need....do they need advice, do they just need someone to listen? What do they need? Don't ignore the needs of your Soldiers, because ignorance is not bliss to the effected person. Their pain is increased with every incidence of lack of caring from their leaders. Why do you think most of these Soldiers feel so isolated? Why do you think we feel so alone? Because it's like we're the only ones feeling this pain, and our leaders don't grasp it or simply don't care. And that, my friends, is why there are so many issues with Soldiers suffering from PTSD or other ailments....because it's like we've been left behind, our issues are ignored by the people who should be showing the most concern for us...our leaders.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Powerade, one thing so many NCO's do is forget where they came from. I sympathize with Soldiers because you know what, I've been there, I was once in their shoes with no one fighting for me. So, getting promoted meant taking on that challenge. And I've gotten myself in alot of hot water for my troops, but in the end, they'll never forget and they'll share that with their Soldiers when their in my position.

    ReplyDelete