WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Coping and dealing with the trauma......

Often times we want to forget everything that has happened to us. We want to erase the memories that cause us pain. We want the pain to just go away. The sad and unfortunate thing about this injury is no matter what, it never really goes away. So how do we deal? Well, I'm not really sure how to explain it in a manner that would be manageable for some. Because all we really want to do is escape from it all. So, rather, I'll just tell you how I cope and deal...every day.

I suffer from nightmares, I have anxiety attacks and I've been in that dark place where you think there's nothing left to do but die. But I dug myself out of that place. Through the help of friends, the aid of many faculties the docs have provided me, and just sheer drive to press on. The love I have for this job, and this country....and the amount of pride I have in what we stand for..keeps me from letting go. I don't want to become a statistic. I want to walk away proud of my service, even if towards the end I was broken....we're all broken. But its not the here and now that we should cling to, its the difference we made when we were in the fight. We've paid our dues, and we've been injured because of it. Despite the lack of help so many are getting, we must remember the Soldiers of Vietnam who walked the streets aimlessly, who had NO aid whatsoever.....when PTSD wasn't even known yet. It is those Soldiers we must remember when we are at our wits end. It is their memory we must hold on to and stand tall for. For they didn't have the resources we do today, and because of that, they suffered the worst kind of pain and most either became alcoholics or drug addicts or worse yet, soccumbed to their injury and ended their lives. It is their memory and their aloneness we must remember. Look to your battle buddy for help, seek the assistance of the many options you have...even if it means going to your congressman for assistance. Do what it takes to get them to help you.

Got a little off track here. I cope by using the many tools provided to me during my treatment. Biofeedback, Alphastim, yoga.....but even better than that...we have an outlet. Getting it off your chest and out of the depths of your brain and putting it to print can help, not only yourself, but those out there who have no one. The internet is an amazing tool and can be very therapeutic to not only yourself but the many people suffering in the darkness all alone. In essence, even if you feel like your "out of the fight" your really not. Your still helping your battle buddies, even if their through the internet. Blogs are exceptional tools to help cope with our injuries.

Also, I have found that if I take on projects, it helps me relax. Most don't think doing work in the yard is relaxing but I find it to be very relaxing. Out there, its just you and the grass and the birds. I take on crazy projects to keep my mind busy, it actually puts my mind at ease and I forget about the things that hurt the most, even if it is just momentary.

I also have pets (now I know the folks at WTU don't have that option but there's ways around this) that I spend most of the day playing with. I have my dogs, who are GREAT therapy dogs even if their not certified. :) My cats, well, their spoiled so not much can be said about them lol although when they do come lay on my lap, its relaxing.

Now how can you get around the whole pets in the barracks thing? Well, you could always go down to the animal shelter and offer to walk the dogs....spend some time with a dog...enjoy their company. I'm not certain if the post shelter allows this but 2nd Chance Animal Shelter on Clear Creek (on the way to the airport) will allow you to walk dogs and their complex is large enough you can walk the dog and sit out there and enjoy that dogs company for however long you want. Before I got my dogs I used to go over there and spend time with theirs. Hard to walk away because you grow to love that dog but at the same time, you always know there will be a dog there that needs the love and attention as much as you do. I believe that dogs truly are the best when it comes to therapy. They know when your down and they know how to cheer you up. Their there for you no matter what. They are after all, man's best friend.

So, that's how I deal......how about you? What have you found that helps you deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment