WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Logged....

So today I decided to log how my day started. This way one can see just what happens from first formation til the last.

0900: Company formation
0910: Meet with my nurse case manager for an appt to get my hands looked at. He was able to get me an appt for next week. So far so good right?
0920: Take out the trash of every civilian and cadre member that works in our buildings.
0945: sweep every office in our buildings
1000: sweep rocks off the sidewalk
1025: Sign out of the WTU to go visit counselor/lunch and OT appt
1030: Go visit with counselor at R&R about therapy dog idea
1130: Lunch
1300: Occupational Therapy appt. Give them my plans to work for a contractor on post while waiting for my MEB to finish, and doing the therapy dog thing at the R&R. OT is very supportive of both my tasks I wish to take on.
1400: Report back to WTU and sign in
1430: Sign out to return to R&R
1445: Sign letter to head doctor at R&R requesting that my therapy dog in training be allowed to continue her training at the R&R clinic.
1500: Report back to WTU and sign back in
1600: Formation
1610: Soldiers selected to go back through and clean all the offices again, my duty day was up so I was permitted to leave

Ok, so thats just today. On days when I don't have any appt's or running around to do, I'm sure it'll look even worse. But today it was pretty crazy.

Now, please don't misconstrue this. I will ensure that you understand that I do not fault my squad leader or my platoon sergeant. I do not fault my first sergeant. I don't know the company commander so I don't know. I, after having observed a number of things, feel as though this is something at minimum 4 rungs higher on the ladder than my squad leader. So, understand, my squad leader has helped me out a great deal. I haven't had to utilize my platoon sergeant which is a good thing. The first sergeant has backed my therapy dog mission I'd asked to take on. So I don't fault her either. I believe the issues we have is far above them. So, understand that I fault no one in my direct line of the chain of command...because they have been extremely helpful with what they could control.

I understand not wanting them to go hang out in their rooms or go hide at home, however, if you are going to force them to remain at the WTU or force them to go look for a job or go to school---allow them the time to do so. I am farely certain that the only reason I was able to up and leave those two times to go see my counselor is because of my rank. But thats besides the point. On any given day, these Soldiers are forced to sit on WTU grounds with nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to do with their time. How about a computer lab? How about encouraging folks from the job fairs to come by and speak with some of these Soldiers? How about resume writing classes held there on the grounds? A number of these Soldiers don't have cars, nor do they have time to run across post to go take a class when they have 3-4 sometimes 5 appt's a day. But something can be done to make life a little easier for them when it comes to the transition. How about helping prepare them for the transition by providing them the services offered by ACAP ON SITE?

It makes sense, that's the problem.

Old Sarge out

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post! You should record everything you can to back you up. I love that you are working with your dog. Dogs are a great asset to PTSD. There are many organizations that are proving that. I therapy pet would be ideal there. I did not realize they do not have any type of programs that would help the soldiers, like taking classes etc. You are a very bright person, keep doing what you are doing. You are a fine soldier!

    ReplyDelete