WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Today's Leadership.......

I guess today was the day when my boiling point reached its max. Here's how it went. I was just getting out of my appointment at TBI when I saw a young Soldier limping away from the ER.....he was a couple of blocks away. I did a u-turn and went back to the Soldier and asked him where he was headed. Clear creek he says. Which instantly pissed me off. I told him to get in and I gave him a ride to where he needed to go. Turned out his unit made him walk TO the ER and then back. WTF?!?! So, needless to say, I was pretty damn hot under the collar by the time I made it back to WTU.

Then a fellow Soldier, who moved to WTU with me, tells me how his day's gone. He's got serious back problems. They put him on the CSM's detail, sweeping, mopping and picking up trash. WTF? So, by this time, I demand to speak to the 1SG about my concerns. I'm beyond livid with the lack of true leadership I have been seeing as of late. And it's not just at the WTU, but all over post. My old unit, 1st Cav Division (the walking Soldier), 3rd ACR (observing these guys doing the lawn details everyday), and others.

I have come to realize that NCO's who actually LISTEN to their Soldiers and truly KNOW their Soldiers, are very few and far between. We're a dying breed and the Army is suffering because of it. Their promoting these Soldiers BEFORE their ready to handle the responsibility of taking care of Soldiers and its been a trickling effect. Now Soldiers don't care because their leaders don't care because their leaders don't care and so on and so forth. It's depressing. When you're so accustomed to taking care of Soldiers and your ripped from that job and placed on the bench, forced to watch the mistreatment without taking action, it breaks your heart. I'm sitting here on the bench getting beyond pissed off at the coach and ref because their treating their guys like shit and don't care if they fall out or further injure themselves. So long as their still in the "game" even partway, that's all that matters. The moment their out of the fight, they wipe their hands of them. And they DON'T help them get the help they need. All they care about are numbers.

Needless to say today was a pretty bad day for me. I'm still hot under the collar but at least I know one person will listen to me and is willing to help make a change. And she has far more pull than I do. Given my position, I have no pull whatsoever, all I can do is listen to these Soldiers complaints and wish I could stand up for them to their leaders. I can't do that but I can't be a quiet, behind the scenes advocate for them with the help of this 1SG. Let's hope it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment