WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

So, it's been a while......

The last two posts were just rants. I'd like to now take the opportunity to update everyone as the last time I really posted was when I was going home on emergency leave. So, I suppose I should touch on this subject and update you all on me.

I departed for Michigan on the 19th of July. At very early in the morning, I had to catch my flight out of Killeen. This time around, I took my dress uniform. I knew this trip wasn't going to be a good one. My father was on a ventilator, suffering from yet another bought with pneumonia.

I thank the leadership of the WTU for their efforts to get me on emergency leave as soon as possible. I've never seen it go that quickly. The red cross message was sent and I had my flight within 5hrs....it's usually not that fast...especially on the weekend. So, to the leadership of the WTU, I thank you.

So, I'm due to land at 3pm. I get into Detroit and find that my next flight is due to leave in less than 10 minutes and the gates clear on the other side of the airport. So I'm running, because I can tell from the texts I'm receiving that things are not going well. I arrive at the gate only to find out my plane is broke. But I thank my lucky stars because otherwise I wouldn't have made that flight. I arrive in Alpena (an hour and a half away from the hospital, closest airport) at 2:57pm. A family friend picks me up and we head off to Gaylord. By 3:20 I get that phone call. The one no one wants to get. My father has passed away. I was too late. He just couldn't hang on any longer. To be honest, the christian in me says he knew that I was home...I may not have been there but I was home, and he knew that he could go.

So the remaining hour+ drive was misery for me. I couldn't speak, and the poor girl driving me was suffering from that awkward silence we all get when we see someone crying their eyes out. We don't know what to do you know? So, it made for a rough ride to the hospital.

I had the opportunity to see him, to say my goodbyes. My father played a pivotal role in the path I took in my life. I am grateful for all the lessons he taught me over the years and it meant so much to be able to say my goodbyes.

Being there for my mom, working around the house and at the animal shelter, helped me to cope with the pain inside. Being able to be the rock for her, made it a little easier for me to deal with everything. I needed something to focus on. I spent the majority of my time home cleaning the shelter warehouse and working in my dad's garage. Cleaning and organizing his belongings. My brother came up and took care of my father's office. And dealt with the dealings with the business. One less thing for my mom to have to stress about.

The funeral brought many people. I couldn't believe the number of people who came to pay their respects for my father and show their support for my mother. Well, I can, he was such a wonderful person. He dedicated himself to his employees and it showed in the outpouring of support. And his efforts with the animal shelter brought so many people it was truly heartwarming.

So, that is where I have been and why I haven't been blogging. But I am now back and will continue to blog and keep everyone updated. Thank you very much for reading and I hope to see you around next time.

Old Sarge Out!

2 comments:

  1. Stay Strong Old Sarge. I had my last grandfather pass away a month after I got back from my first deployment so I understand your pain. We old dogs have got your back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Old Sarge, I am sorry for the loss of your father. It is always hard losing a parent no matter where or when or how old you are. Know he is watching over you and giving you your strength. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete