WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Disappointment......

As a Soldier, I have learned over the years that those closest to us may cause us pain and anguish at times, yet their always there for us when we need them. Or they should. Our trusted confidants are the only ones we can go to. The only ones we can vent to. When we cut them out of our lives, it can forever scar us. We may not see it at the time, given our anger or frustration in that individual. But it will eventually come to light.

I learned this lesson many years ago when I "held a grudge" against a friend. It took us a few years to reconnect and I am grateful that we were able to. Because they truly are one of my best friends. We've had our bad times, yet, when push comes to shove, we're always there for one another. No matter the miles between us. So, I am writing this blog today to remind everyone that those friends we have "pushed away" may be our only lifeline at one point. It is best to mend those bridges and keep those ties open. You never know when you may need their shoulder again.

Everyone makes mistakes. We all do. No one is perfect. And when your dealing with Soldiers who suffer from PTSD, we have to be understanding of some of the many underlying issues that haunt each other. We have to be compassionate when our friend is suffering. And we have to be forgiving if they lose their cool for a moment. We all know we suffer from many issues, and we depend on those friends closest to us to help us through these issues. If we cannot wipe the slate clean after one of us suffers an episode, we will soon run out of friends.

I am not one who takes sides. I understand the issues that plague us all. And I only want for my battles to understand that things happen and we each sink in that pit of dispair at our own moments. And all we have to depend on are our battles to pull us out. If we don't have that, we won't survive. PTSD is not a game, and if we feel that we are alone, we will most likely become the statistic. But if we have battles who understand, who will pull us up and out of that pit, then we can survive this. We have to work together. We have to come together and band together like the brothers and sisters that we are and protect one another. If we see one another falling in that pit, we have to be their lifeline. The only people who truly understand PTSD and all that goes with it, are those of us who suffer from it. So we have to stick together.

Mend those bridges, make peace with one another and forgive and forget for those moments when we fell into the pit. Be that lifeline so that we can survive and overcome.

That is all.

Old Sarge out!

1 comment:

  1. Jesus I couldn't agree more! All my closest friends who have known me for years have forgiven me whenever my PTSD acted up, never once did they just completely write me off even after I've been there for them. I guess when you help someone with their problems it's okay, but when you have an episode and you cannot help but explode they take offense to it and write you off. Goes to show who your true friends really are.

    ReplyDelete