WARNING: This site contains emotionally charged and graphic accounts of my experiences concerning combat PTSD. Some posts may trigger someone suffering from a trauma-based disorder and others may equally be affected!

Friday, October 28, 2016

It's been a long 7 yrs


I know it's been quite some time since I've posted. I retired on my fathers birthday, April 19th 2011. Alot has happened since then. I've had my good days and my bad. As we all do. Over the course of the last 7 years, my unit has suffered many a loss to disease (cancer, kidney disease etc etc) as well as PTSD. And with that, I've struggled to come to terms with those losses. As much of us have. I regret not having been on here, as I had hoped to be able to be of some help to others through this forum. But my absence has been within reason. In 2010, my father passed away from lung cancer, and my last blogs were of resources to assist our veterans with the many issues that plague us. But I really cannot express to you the reasons behind my absence other than simply life. I had not yet relocated to Michigan yet when I posted my last blog. I was tending to my issues as well as preparing for medical retirement. I will say, through the Warrior Transition Unit at Fort Hood, I was set up for success upon retirement. They indeed took excellent care and ensured that all of my medical needs were tended to. The VA, for the most part, has been superb. Depending upon where you go that is. Since moving to Northern Michigan, my satellite clinic has been fantastic. My primary care is amazing and she bent over backwards to get my medical needs addressed, even when the higher ups argued I was too young to have knee issues, or ulcers. Boom.......after she fought to get me the tests needed, she proved them wrong. Doesn't matter our age, what matters is what our body's have endured over the course of our careers. So I greatly appreciate her and all her efforts to ensure I got the best care. I will say, traveling to Saginaw or Detroit....INSANITY! Saginaw is not near as bad as Detroit, in terms of care and overall customer service. Not to mention the fact that Detroit's VA Hospital is jam packed. I can only imagine their workload. Tons of people there. I'll stick to my satellite clinic lol.

To address Pooches for Troops. When Kelsy failed her Canine Good Citizen test, and sadly had her vest removed for the final time as a result (the responsible thing to do. Fake service dogs make me SO mad), Pooches for Troops was no longer. Unfortunately it was a venue I was not going to succeed at on my own and regrettably I was relocating so it was of no benefit if there was no one there to pick it up. There are a plethora of programs out there for Veterans in need of service dogs. Contact your local shelter to see if they're familiar with any programs in the area that are using shelter dogs for service dogs. Also, check out Pets for Vets. They have locations all over or contacts with other organizations that can be of assistance. If you are able to get a service dog for your needs, please do so. It truly is a benefit. Kelsy may have failed and is not able to go out into public with me as a certified service dog, but she provides plenty of support here at home. Plus, since retirement, I work at an animal shelter so I get ample support and therapy all day long lol.

Whatever you do, don't ever stop talking to your battle buddy's. Keep in touch. Start a facebook group for members of your unit. I have two that I run for two of my units and it's really brought us all together. And truly has helped keep many of us level headed.

With this, I must log off but I just wanted to post so that you knew I was ok. It's been a long time and I truly apologize for that. I do hope that you all are doing well and encourage you to please reach out if you need guidance or just someone to listen.

Have a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment